Monday, September 14, 2009

Proud Mommy Monday: Developing Courage

Here is my Proud Mommy Monday moment for this week. If you would like to participate by blogging about something you have done well as a mom, visit my friend Shannon's blog.

I tend to shy away from "scary" things. I don't like heights. I don't like roller coasters and would never consider doing bungee jumping or skydiving or anything like that. I am not a risk taker. But Michelle is not scared of these types of things like I am. She is quite athletic and loves the thrill of rides and being up high. There have been several times when Michelle has wanted to try things that my immediate reaction was no, that is too scary. But I have tried to step back (in my head) and think about whether what she wants to try is dangerous and if it's not, then I keep my fears to myself and let her try. And I'm trying to do that with all of the girls.

A few examples:

*Last year Michelle wanted to do a climbing wall. At first thought, I thought she was too little, but she wanted to try. So I let her do it and she made it to within a few inches of the top.

*This weekend Ella wanted to go on a slightly scary ride. She'd been on it before with me at West Fest, but I didn't buy any tickets at the state fair for myself, so Ella had to go on it with just Michelle. Again, my first instinct was to say no. But she had really enjoyed it at West Fest (even though I really didn't) and so I said okay. And Ella rode the Tornado with Michelle and they both loved it!

*At the state fair, Michelle wanted to do the jumpy thing where you are hooked up and jump into the air (I just wrote about this and posted pics in the last post). And even though it looked awful to me, she wanted to try, and so Alfredo and I said yes.

There are probably other examples, but these are the first 3 that come to mind. Even though there are moments when I want to keep my kids little, I am pleased that they don't have the same fears as I do. I'm so happy that Michelle, especially, is willing to try new things and be adventurous. And so, I'm glad that I'm learning to let go and let her try new things and not hold her back. Who knows? Maybe someday she'll climb Mount Everest or invent a new rollercoaster or become a skydiving instructor. And even if not, I will know that I allowed her the freedom to safely try things and find out what she loves and what she doesn't.

4 comments:

  1. I really do think that is one of the hardest things as a parent - where do you draw the line between safety and adventure. Mike is not and never has been afraid of anything, so I've always had him there to stomp my fears when it comes to the kids. And yes, they have fallen, gotten bumps and bruises, but overall they are healthy and safe - despite the rides and crazy things they do! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your song today "Let them be little." Cute.

    I'm proud for you too! It's important to let kids make decisions when they are young about things with little risk, that way when they are older and making decisions that have much more weight upon them, they are able to do it (and make wise decisions too)

    Way to go mom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you! Sometimes I have to stop before I say "no" and think, "why shouldn't he do that?"

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's always fun to catching up on your posts. Sounds like you're having a lot of fun! And your flashback to the past brought back some awful 80s style memories. What were we thinking!

    ReplyDelete