Sunday, March 2, 2008

kindergarten

We recently applied for Michelle to attend the Dual Immersion Academy (DIA, a charter school right near my school) and the dual immersion program at Jackson Elementary in my district. We got a letter on Friday saying that Michelle had been admitted to Jackson. I have to submit our intent for her to attend (or vice versa) by March 21. I haven't heard from DIA yet. I'm not sure what to do. DIA is more conveniently located, but it's brand new (this was its first year) and I've heard rumors that they are barely making it. Too many kids dropped out. But I am glad to know that we at least have one option and that Michelle will be in a dual immersion program next year. Hooray!

2 comments:

  1. Hi,
    I am sorry to hear that you have not yet heard from staff at DIA. When did you apply? Please call me at 972-1425 so that I can address the issue. Also, you said you had heard that DIA is "barely making it" - this is not true. We are thriving. As far as losing too many students, the school's official count this year was 98.8% full - much higher than most charters in their first year - but not overcrowded like many traditional public elementary schools. We have only lost about 10% of our children (mostly due to mobility) which is markedly lower than most public schools - charter or regular.

    I would love to talk with you more about DIA. Please call or email jbarrientos@diacharter.org

    ReplyDelete