Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Christmas Eve

We have several fun traditions on Christmas Eve. First, we do luminaries. This is a tradition from my family growing up. You put lighted candles in bags and line your sidewalk/driveway with them. It looks beautiful, it lights the way for Santa. Most importantly, luminaries remind us of the Light of the World, our Savior Jesus Christ, whose birth we are celebrating.

(I must admit that luminaries are easier to do and warmer in Arizona! But I still love doing them...)

After luminaries, we read Luke 2. Then we each open one gift, usually pajamas. (Although I didn't get Alfredo and I pajamas this year.)


Then we head to Alfredo's aunt's house. We open gifts from his aunt and cousin and they open the gifts from us. Around midnight, the extended family gathers and we eat a midnight dinner. Santa comes and delivers gifts downstairs for their family while everyone is upstairs eating, and they stay up most of the night opening gifts. We don't stay for that part of the celebration though. My kids usually don't even make it until midnight before they either fall to pieces or fall asleep. So right after dinner, we head home. Still the girls enjoy playing with their cousins, Daya and Nayeli (Laly). We enjoy visiting and eat yummy food.




Christmas Eve is special and magical and I look forward to it each year.

3 comments:

  1. Oh how I love reading about everyones traditions. I saw your luminaries on our way back home on Christmas Eve. What a neat thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! Dinner at midnight. I don't know if I would be able to make it for that one. :) How fun for the kids though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the tradition to start Christmas at midnight... it's just impossible with little kids - at least I think so~ :) LOVE the luminaries! Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete