Monday, May 27, 2013

Things Have a Way of Working Out

Sometimes I get really stressed out about what might happen or what is going to happen. For example, when I was asked to move to 4th grade next year, it really stressed me out. I said I would do it, but I really, really didn't want to. I am so busy right now...busy doing good things, but busy. I feel like, for the most part, I have a handle on my responsibilities. But changing grade levels is a lot of work, and that was going to complicate things. So imagine my relief when a couple of weeks ago, situations changed and I was told that I don't have to move to 4th grade next year after all. There is a very real possibility/probability that I will still have to move to 4th grade in the future...perhaps in a year. But even having that put off for another year will help. It worked out.

The end of the year is a busy time. I have a "to do" list that feels a mile long. Sometimes I start to feel a little panicky...there aren't enough hours in the day to accomplish all that I need to in the next two weeks. And yet, somehow, with hard work and the help of the Lord and others, I will get everything done that I need to. And in just over a week, I will be done with school. Things will work out.

Right now, my school is trying to decide whether to adopt the state model of dual immersion. That decision has to be made by Wednesday of this coming week. We have only known that possibility was on the table for at the most 2 weeks. It's a big decision with serious implications for our students and for us as teachers. I spent 2 very sleepless nights last week processing what this decision will mean for my school, my students, and for myself and my colleagues. I've written pages of my questions, concerns and pros/cons. I've contacted a couple of friends that teach in dual immersion programs to get their perspective. And yesterday, I suddenly realized that while it is good to do my research and enter into this decision with as many facts as possible, it is time to stop worrying about it so much. It will work out. Things have a way of working out, especially when we trust the Lord and put our faith in him. My school will make the right decision, whatever that is?!. Or if they don't, then I will have the opportunity to transfer to another school. It will be okay. One of my favorite verses of scripture is, "But behold, all things have been done in the wisdom of him who knoweth all things." (2 Nephi 2:24)

That doesn't mean that challenges won't come (they will) or that I won't get stressed out again soon (I will). That doesn't mean that I won't worry about the future (I do) or forget that things have a way of working out (I will). But the Lord knows what the future has in store for me, and his wisdom is so much greater than mine. So things will work out. In Elder Holland's book, For Times of Trouble, he wrote about Psalm 25:7 and that we can repent and be forgiven. "This is the gospel of the second chance and the church of the happy ending." No matter what happens in this life, the future is bright and if we live well, there will be a happy ending. And most of the time, there are even happy endings for my silly daily struggles and stressors. Things work out.

(*I do want to point out that I recognize that many people face much more daunting challenges than those I've described here...and that some of my more serious trials haven't worked out quickly and some haven't "worked out" yet... so I am not trying to negate the hard times that all of us face. Just remind myself that most of the things that frustrate me or worry me on a day to day basis aren't as important as they may seem at the time. And, in an eternal perspective, I believe that even the big challenges will have a way of working out for our good. But it can certainly be hard to see that now.)

No comments:

Post a Comment