Sunday, August 15, 2021

Holy Envy: Amish

 In the last couple of years, I've heard several people speak about "holy envy".  It's a term coined by author Barbara Brown Taylor.  Basically it means to notice the ways in which OTHER faiths practice their beliefs and recognize the beauty and goodness inherent in other faith traditions.  It means to search for things that are unique and distinct about each religion and what their traditions reveal about God, about holiness, about transcendence.  It doesn't need to change your love for your own faith but just to recognize that there is truth and goodness in other places.  And maybe it can help you refine your own spiritual practices.


When Gabby and I went to New York, we went to Watkins Glen State Park.  When we arrived, there was a large group of Amish youth (and a few adults were there supervising) playing volleyball and interacting.  Later, some of them were walking the trails in the park.  I felt a bit of holy envy as I watched them.  Here were some of the things I observed and thought about.

First, they all dressed similarly in simple fashions.  This made them stand out.  They are different from the world.  There was something powerful about looking around and seeing so many youth that clearly believe similarly and choose to live their belief in the way they act and dress.  Now I imagine that I'm simplifying things in some ways as I imagine that some rebel and some feel constrained...but it just felt neat to be able to differentiate between them and others... they are "distinct and different from the world" and don't seem so caught up in the worldly distractions or worldly manners of clothing and music and pride.  They were laughing and enjoying time together in ways that seemed very wholesome and humble.  They dressed modestly.  It made me think...can people tell by the way I act, dress, speak, and live that I am a follower of Jesus Christ.  

They speak Pennsylvania Dutch and that shared language/vocabulary made me feel a bit of holy envy.  They speak English, but they have this second language that binds them as a community and ties them together.  Within the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, we definitely have some shared vocabulary or some terms that we understand that are unique to our faith.  But we don't have a shared language distinct from those around us.  And because we have a global church (which I love!) we don't even all speak the same language.

I am articulating this much more poorly than the thoughts and feelings I had that day.  But it felt like there was a spirit of unity and shared purpose.  Of course, each individual has unique gifts and talents and interests, but there was a feeling of camraderie and that they were united in the way they choose to live their lives.  United in a way that feels hard for me to find lately.  

Ultimately, it felt like they were filled with light.  They were friendly and smiling and laughing and seemed to exude a quiet confidence and joy.  I wondered if I would also be recognizable as a disciple of Christ by the way that I talk and interact with others.  Am I "distinct and different in happy ways" as we've been encouraged to be?  Is there any way for others to tell that I am a Latter-day Saint?  And what can I do to build greater unity in my home, my ward, my neighborhood and this world?  


LESSONS LEARNED:

There is much of value in other faith traditions.

Do I stand out as distinct and different?

How can I increase unity?

No comments:

Post a Comment