Sunday, January 5, 2014

Christmas Eve

I love Christmas Eve. It is one of my favorite days of the year. This year Alfredo's cousin had her baby girl, Darla, on Christmas Eve. We headed to the hospital to see her, only to realize that kids could not go up since it is RSV season. So Alfredo visited and the girls and I went to ColdStone for ice cream. I had peppermint ice cream with brownies and pecans. It was delish! The girls like cotton candy ice cream (yuck) with gummy bears. This time they mixed the cotton candy ice cream with another flavor...Gabby got raspberry sorbet and Michelle and Ella got some other flavor.

That evening, we did our traditional luminaries.  (This is a tradition from my family growing up, a tradition that I have carried into my own family.  I love it.  It is a tradition from Mexico, although none of us are Mexican.  It helps guide Santa to your home.  It represents the light of Christ and the light that he brings into your home.)   It was cold, but not snowing, and they looked so beautiful. I love the lighted candles that remind us of the Light of the World. Then we read Luke 2. We were interrupted as we read by all of the local missionaries caroling. They sang so beautifully, and it just added to the spirit in our home. So wonderful.



 

Then the girls opened their pajamas and put them on. Our good friends, the Galatas, stopped by for a visit and to exchange gifts.






Then we headed to Alfredo's family for dinner. The tradition is to have dinner at midnight, then open gifts. With Irene and Miguel at the hospital, it was a small gathering, but wonderful. Dinner was delicious, the company was great, and I feel so thankful to spend time with family. 







 Because we do not get home from these Christmas Eve festivities until 1:30 or 2 in the morning, we all get pretty tired.  I took a half hour nap while waiting for dinner to get done.  Gabby was tuckered out and slept for an hour and a half, including sleeping through dinner.  (She ate after she opened presents.)  My kids don't get nearly enough sleep on Christmas Eve...they aren't in bed until 1-2 AM and they are up again about 8, but we have such a wonderful, magical evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment