Saturday, September 6, 2014

Cove Fort

We took a trip to St. George as a family.  My aunt Elaine, my maternal grandpa Floyd, and my aunt and uncle Brent and Diane met us there.  On our way to St. George, we stopped at Cove Fort.  I have been before, but it has been many years.  My husband and children have never been before.  I am so glad we stopped.  First, we watched a film that told about the Hinckley family's call to settle at Cove Fort and the many guests they had there.  The film shared some of their experiences.   Then we were able to actually walk through the fort with the missionary that was guiding us.  

This tree has lived twice as long as its typical life expectancy.  But it is dying.  Our guide told us that the Church would be pulling them down in a couple of weeks, so they won't be there next time we visit. 

 This room was the telegraph office.  One reason that towns were built about every 35 miles throughout Utah is that is how far a telegraph could be relayed.  So there were telegraph offices every 35 miles or so.  It was neat to see it work for just a minute.
The dining room






The missionaries that serve at Cove Fort have a large garden that helps provide for the missionaries that serve there.  The Hinckleys also had a large garden when they lived at Cove Fort.  As I learn about the early Saints, I am so humbled by their goodness, fortitude, faith and sacrifice.  I look forward to the day when I can meet them face to face and express my thanks for their example and their sacrifices...it is because of them that I have the gospel in my life today.  I loved seeing some of the items they would have used to cook, clean, sew and care for their family as well as the many visitors that came to Cove Fort.  I was happy to learn that they developed friendly relations with the Native Americans who lived nearby and that Cove Fort was never attacked.  I felt the spirit as we walked through the fort and I feel so grateful to be able to learn more about the early Saints.

No comments:

Post a Comment