Wednesday, November 18, 2020

Grigg Plane Crash

 Mrs. Linda Grigg was my first grade teacher.  I remember her reading aloud to us every day (and occasionally handing me the book and letting me read aloud to the class.)  I remember going on a field trip to the fire station and her daughter who was about our age came along.  I remember learning to tell time and really struggling with that.  I remember getting nearly every single word correct on spelling tests that year...missing only one...and being so proud when I got a sticker on my spelling test each week.  She was kind and she was a good teacher.  I was in first grade when I first decided I wanted to be a teacher when I grew up (along with a ballerina 😂.)


When I was about to start 6th grade, there was a terrible accident.  Mrs. Grigg and her husband had gone to Michigan.  They were flying back to Arizona on August 16, 1987, when the plane crashed shortly after takeoff.  148 of the 149 passengers were killed.  Mrs. Grigg was among them.  I was heartbroken.  I was so sad as I had loved her.  But mostly I was so sad because I knew her children and I had met her daughter.  I wondered who would care for her daughter.  From time to time, I think of her children and hope they are okay.  

LESSONS LEARNED:  Life is fragile and you never know how long you have...live life to the fullest.

Teachers can make a lifelong impact and be remembered for good or ill.  

No comments:

Post a Comment