Sunday, November 1, 2020

Mike Always Winner

 My mom and Mike came for dinner today.  We had such a nice visit.  It had been over a month since we had seen them.  

We talked a bit about the virus and how much I wish I could go back to school and that I mostly don't dare share my opinion because it is such an unpopular opinion.  I explained that I am trying to be careful but I also can't just sit in my home and do nothing when I know so many people are lonely and struggling.  I just can't.  I know they are trying to be quite cautious but they also reassured me that they think that it's good for my kids to be back in school and that they don't think I'm being selfish or irresponsible.


Also, Mike shared that when he was younger he was very competitive.  He hated to lose.  He wasn't always pleasant to be around if he lost.  But when he married my mom, we liked to play games--especially Boggle.  He said that in 30 years of marriage, he has never won a game of Boggle.  And yet, he said, that he was a winner in every single game.  Because he decided his purpose/goal was to build relationships and have fun.  And so no matter how the game went, he could consider himself a winner if he was enjoying that time with those he loved.  Sometimes I can get competitive and even be a bit of a sore loser, so I appreciate this reminder.  It's more important to enjoy the game and build relationships than to win.


Lesson Learned:  It's more important to enjoy the game and build relationships than to win.

Change your purpose and you can change your feelings about the outcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment