Saturday, February 6, 2021

Grandpa Broccoli Try

 My grandpa Reed Bills hated broccoli.  He didn't seem to complain about much, but we all knew he disliked broccoli.  Yet at least once a year, he would eat broccoli in front of us and tell us (as near as I remember...this is definitely not a direct quote!)  "I don't like broccoli.  But I keep trying it once a year.  Maybe some day my taste buds will change.  But this is not the year that happens."  And he would grin and chuckle.  He always seemed to handle things with a sense of humor.

LESSONS LEARNED:

It's kind of a silly thing and definitely a simple thing.  But it taught me a few valuable lessons.  First, we should keep trying things because something we dislike now may eventually become something we enjoy.  Tastes change as our experiences change.

Second, I learned that it is okay if we have different interests, likes, and dislikes from those we love.  I love broccoli, especially roasted broccoli.  

Handle things with a smile and if possible a sense of humor.  (I don't feel like humor comes naturally to me as it did to him but how I appreciate those who do have a sense of humor!)

Don't complain.

No comments:

Post a Comment