Sunday, February 28, 2021

Worth Walk Camp

 I belong to a group on Facebook for YW leaders.  Someone asked a question about girls camp and while answering it, I was reminded of something I haven't thought about for awhile.  

For a couple of years, on the last night of camp, we did a spiritual walk.  For lack of a better name I'm going to call it a "worth walk".  I can't really remember what they called it at camp if they had a name.   All the girls and leaders lined up in two lines, facing each other, about a foot apart. The stake YW President was at the head of the lines and the stake camp director was at the end of the lines. The stake YW President would blindfold the first girl in line and whisper a message about how beloved and special she was. Then the young woman or leader would begin to walk, in between the two lines of girls.  We had each been instructed that as the YW or leader passed we were to whisper whatever the spirit asked us to whisper, a  word that described that YW/woman...things like beautiful, faithful, kind, happy, helpful, compassionate, etc. After the first girl was blindfolded and had gone a few steps, being gently guided by all of us whispering words of love to her, the next girl was blindfolded and began down the path. (I hope this explanation is making sense.)  Each of us got a turn until every youth and leader had been able to walk down the path and hear these words of love and affirmation. It's been nearly 6 years and even as a leader I can remember how powerful this was for me and how palpable the Spirit was. And it was neat, because there were a lot of YW from outside my ward that I didn't know at all, and yet often a very specific word would come to mind for them despite not knowing them. That didn't happen for me for every girl but it happened often. I can't articulate all that I felt other than to say that I knew that these were the words that my Heavenly Parents and Savior would say to me, that this is how they see me.   As soon as it ended, I tried to record in my journal some of the words and messages I heard and the spirit that I felt.  And it gave me strength to get a real glimpse of who I am and who I can become.  To feel that I AM noble, loved, worthy, kind, Christlike, happy, selfless, and so on.  We did this same activity for a couple of years and it was powerful.  It's the kind of thing that I'd happily do over and over again because I think we need those tangible reminders of who we are.

No comments:

Post a Comment