Wednesday, February 10, 2021

Reflections at Age 45

 Here's what I know to be true at age 45, in no particular order:

*I am capable of learning and doing new things.  I learned a variety of technology this past year.  I learned to teach online rather than in person.  I "learned" how to keep a 3 word journal and have been pretty consistent at writing out my memories.  I have learned a great deal about the blessings promised to covenant Israel.  Now I am learning to play the piano.  I'm not sure what is next, but I am capable of developing new skills and talents.

*I have the absolutely best people in my life.  I am overwhelmed by how much love and kindness is regularly shown to me.  Yesterday was "practically perfect in every way" because I heard from so many people that I love.  I am so very blessed--beyond anything I could ever deserve.

*I love people.  I like to hug people.  I like to talk to people I know.  I love to learn about people in the past.  I need time alone and I am not outgoing with people I don't know.  I am a weird mix between introverted and extroverted...but I value relationships.

*Jesus Christ is my Savior, Redeemer, Rock, Friend, Brother, Exemplar, and so much more.  I love Him and I know He loves me.  I KNOW He lives.  I know He gave His life for me and that He enables me to do more and be more than I ever could on my own.  

*I know that I am a beloved daughter of Heavenly Parents.  This gives me comfort more than almost anything else I know.

*I know that Joseph Smith was a prophet of God.  My life is incomprehensibly better because of all that he did to restore truth.  He gave His life for the truths he taught.  

*Russell M. Nelson is a prophet of God today.  He teaches truth.  He prepares us for what is ahead.  He is a great example and he receives revelation for the church and the world.  There is peace and safety in following Him.

*God has given us many sources to learn His truth and His word.  Among these are the Bible, the Book of Mormon, the Doctrine and Covenants and the Pearl of Great Price.  Each testifies of Christ and teaches how we can draw closer to Him.  

*There is much wrong in this world.  It is not as I would like it to be.  However, along with the poverty and injustice and racism and selfishness and greed and other problems, there is also SO much that is good.  There are so many who spend their lives making this world a little bit brighter and a little bit better and I'm so thankful.

*The temple is the house of God and there is peace and joy and perspective to be found there.  I told a couple of friends--the only thing that could have made my birthday any better at all was to be in the temple sometime this week.  But that day will come soon.

*Life can be hard and unfair and heartbreaking.  But it can also be beautiful and full of laughter and joy.  We can't really experience the fulness of one without also experiencing the other.  And there are plenty of things that are not within our control.  But I have found that if we try to look for the beauty and the goodness and the joy, it is there and we will find more and more of it! 

*I have a job that I (usually) enjoy and that is meaningful and that I think I'm good at.  My needs are taken care of and many of my wants.  I am so fortunate and while I have worked hard for what I have, I am also very aware that many of the things I have are opportunities that many are not afforded.

*"Because I have been given much, I, too, must give."   I am happier when I am helping others.  

*I am imperfect.  I truly "cherish the gift of repentance" and "seek to improve each day."

*I love being a mom.  Relationships are what really matters.  My family means everything to me.  

*Life is good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment