Wednesday, February 17, 2021

Losing Friend Regret

 A little over three years ago, on January 19, 2018 my friend Carin passed away unexpectedly.  It was heartbreaking.  She is the mother of 7 children.  Two of her children are on the autism spectrum.  Her youngest was only about 7 months old.  My heart ached for all of them, especially her daughter Kate who was a freshman in high school (Michelle's age) and who was one of our Young Women.  

I asked friends, family and ward members to share memories and I created a book for her family with these memories and photos.  That was a special thing for me to read all these people whose lives she had touched and to read of all the service she had rendered.

I felt so sad, and I also faced some regret.  Carin was my friend, but life was busy and after she died I wondered if she knew at all what she meant to me.  Did she know how much she had blessed my life?  Did she know how much I had learned from her?  Did she know how much I loved her?

I still think about her often.   I pray for her family regularly.  I've tried to be more like Carin and to render service to others as often as I could and to just go about doing good.  

I have also tried to be more vocal in expressing appreciation and love to others.  I want people to know what they mean to me.  I try to tell people I love them, to thank them when they do something kind, to point out their good qualities.  I hope that I am a real friend and that if another friend passes, she will know what she meant to me.

LESSONS LEARNED:

This life is short.  

Tell people what they mean to you.

Serve others unselfishly.

We touch more lives than we are probably aware of.

No comments:

Post a Comment