Tuesday, September 16, 2008

10, 20, 30...

It is amazing how much kids can learn when info is put to music. I've known this for quite some time, but was reminded once again yesterday. Michelle can easily count to 40. She can go on to 100, if we help her with the tens (50, 60, 70, etc). I've tried a couple of times to teach her to skip count by tens with little success. Yesterday she said she learned a new song. She then proceeded to sing to me, several times, 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100. She can now skip count by 10's. I didn't ask her to count to 100, but I bet she probably can or will be able to soon. Amazing.

Last Thursday, she had to come hang out with me for the last 3 hours of parent conferences. She was very good at playing quietly and not disturbing me during conferences. Such a good girl. Anyway, she was drawing and writing on my white board. I looked up and saw this: Gabirele. I was pretty impressed. We've never tried to spell Gabrielle's name and I thought she did quite well to spell it that close on her own.

She started after school program yesterday. I figured this week I'd just let her stay for about 25 minutes just to get the hang of it and then next week she'll have to stay about an hour. The first 45 minutes they get a snack and then do their homework. She was only half done when I came to pick her up about 30 minutes after school ended. We went out and I let the girls play on the school playground for about 10 minutes. Just as we were leaving, the after school kids came out to play. This morning, Michelle said, "Mommy, don't come so soon. I want to stay longer at after school program and play with my friends." I've been worried about what a long day she would have and here she is telling me to let her stay longer!! :) I'm glad that she is happy and so well adjusted.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is kind of a double-edged sword when the kids like a program like that isn't it. On the one hand you want them to like it, especially sense it is something she has to do. On the other hand, you want her to be excited when it's time for her to be picked up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad that she is adjusting well to the change!

    The song thing is so true. Max loves to sing and is very good at memorizing songs, the other day I caught him singing the song with the names of all the states in it...made me laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll have to have her teach us that song :)

    ReplyDelete