Saturday, September 13, 2008

this past week

This has been a busy week... Here's what has gone on.

Monday was Michelle's first day of ALL DAY kinder. Because her school gets out before mine, she will be attending the after school program. I tried to contact them to let them know that she isn't starting yet, but didn't reach them. SO they tried to pick her up at the end of the day. She got very upset and said I was supposed to pick her up and started crying. She was crying and shaking when she came outside and saw that I was there. Poor girl. Hopefully, she'll enjoy the after school program and be okay when she actually does have to go!

We've all been a little sick this week with colds... except Michelle. Somehow she's managed to stay healthy despite the rest of us sneezing, coughing, and having runny, stuffy noses and sore throats.

I had parent teacher conferences. This was somewhat of an adventure since I have been out since the first day of school. SO while I had info from the sub and had all their data, I don't know the kids. I had a couple of families show up at the wrong time, which was okay, except that then I had to ask who they were and what their child's name was. That was embarrassing!! But they were all really nice and I seem to have a nice class this year.

Michelle was student of the week this week. She got a little certificate and a box of crayons. It could be that many students got this award or that she was the only one, but either way, I'm proud of her. :)

Michelle's school has uniforms. The uniform policy says that Friday is free choice day where they don't have to wear uniforms. The policy says that if they are on time to school each day and don't have any behavior problems, then they can wear other clothes on Friday. It says they will get a sticker on Thursday. Well, Michelle had been excited to wear a new outfit all week. She didn't get a sticker that I could find, but I knew she'd been on time and had good behavior. So I let her wear her new outfit. Much to my surprise/dismay, when we arrived Friday morning, she was the only student in the whole kindergarten who was not wearing a uniform. I worried about her all day, hoping she wouldn't get teased or get in trouble. But no one seemed to notice or care and she was happy that she got to wear her outfit. She did ask me why no one else wore "regular" clothes, and I said I didn't know... Guess I'll have to check on this free choice Friday policy. At Mountain View, where I used to work, no one wore uniforms on Friday. Hmmm... I'm just grateful that she was happy and didn't get in trouble.

Michelle is tired at the end of a long day of school, but she really likes her teacher and seems to be doing well so far.

I go back to work a week from Monday. I'm happy to get to know my students, but don't feel ready to leave my girls yet. It's gone way too fast.

3 comments:

  1. Sorry that your family hasn't been feeling well, I hope you all get feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad Michelle is enjoying her first week of school (for the most part). It sounds like a very cool school.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you are all feeling a bit better now! We can have a pity party together when you return to work in a week! I STILL am not ready and I'm a month into this mess! :)

    ReplyDelete