Saturday, September 13, 2008

bk

(FYI: BK is not Burger King, it is teacher speak for Background Knowledge.)

One thing we learn as teachers is how important background knowledge is to a child's understanding of a new subject, a book they read, etc. I had a cute experience with Ella and BK today. I was thumbing through Creating Keepsakes, a scrapbook magazine. There was a page with pictures of some people diving.

Ella got excited and said, "Look. There's a sea anemone. There's a fish. He lives in the sea anemone. (Surprisingly, she even pronounced anemone correctly and was pointing at a sea anemone.) Then she said, "Oh, there's the bad man who caught Nemo (pointing at a diver.)" I had been surprised at first that she knew what the pictures were of, until she mentioned Nemo. Too cute.

1 comment:

  1. AMAZING how much they can learn from a Disney movie, isn't it! and hello, I cannot even pronounce anemone correctly (in fact did I spell it right?)! :)

    ReplyDelete