Friday, January 9, 2009

here's what you say, Mommy

Yesterday a neighbor who speaks limited English (fluent Spanish) watched Ella and Gabrielle. Michelle asked as we were driving home from work/school if she could stay and play for a little bit when we picked up Ella and Gabrielle. I said it was okay with me but we'd have to ask Jenni's mom. Michelle said, "But Mom, she only speaks Spanish and you don't talk Spanish good." She was quiet for a moment and then said, "Okay, here's what you say, Mommy. Say, "Puede mis ninas jugar con Jenni y Francisco, por favor?" (Can my girls play with Jenni and Francisco, please?) She then made me practice repeating it to her several times. Then she said, "Or if that's too hard, you could ask Jenni in ENGLISH and Jenni can ask her mom." I didn't know whether to laugh (I don't speak Spanish well, but I can say some things.... it's funny that my 5 year old is now so confident that she knows so much more than me...and she probably will soon) or to feel incredibly proud. Mostly, I am so pleased with all that she is learning.