Sunday, January 4, 2009

Stop the train! I want to get off!

I am in (very mild) mourning tonight. My kids are growing too fast. Ella started primary today. I was worried for her... she was really upset to leave nursery. She finally decided she liked nursery about 4 or 5 months ago. She didn't want to go to primary; she didn't want new primary teachers; she likes nursery. Then she fell asleep in my lap about five minutes before primary was to start. Alfredo wasn't feeling well and stayed home. So I took Ella to my primary class with me. She woke up after a few minutes and half way through she wanted one of the kids in my class to take her to her primary class and she was fine. I'm glad, but sad too. She is 3 1/2. Michelle is half way done with kindergarten and this is her third year of primary. And today Gabrielle grabbed the bottle and held it up all by herself in her mouth. Also, over the past 2 weeks as I've been home, I've watched Gabrielle grow up so much. Two weeks ago, it seemed like she was still sleeping a lot during the day and it seems like each day she has slept a little less... now taking just 3 or 4 naps all day and being awake for 3 or 4 hour stretches at a time. She is also getting better at reaching for and grabbing things and holding onto them. She is starting to really enjoy toys.

They are growing too, too fast. I went time to pause and let me enjoy them at these ages a little longer. It seems like it was just a few weeks ago that Michelle was starting primary. Just a few weeks ago that Ella was finally old enough for nursery. This train called life is zooming down the tracks. I want it to be on slow speed and it is on fast forward. It is bittersweet to see them grow. Of course, I am pleased with all they are learning and with their accomplishments, but it is happening too fast.

(however, don't get me wrong... i was braced for ella to cry and cling to me and not go to primary. so i am relieved that since i let her go on her own terms... staying with me until she was awake and bored sitting quietly in my class...that she loved primary and now can't wait for next week.)

4 comments:

  1. truer words, from a mother, have yet to be spoken! I TOTALLY know how you feel! It does feel like a freight train speeding in the night (especially when we miss so much of what is happening)! I know that before I blink again they will be all grown up! So.. I guess all we can do is cherish every moment we CAN with them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know exactly what you mean. Before you know it, they'll be teens.
    If it makes you feel any better, my oldest is currently planning her wedding for 2010. I could be a grandma by 2011! Now if that's not like being hit by a freight train, I don't know what is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I miss my kids being little, but I am LOVING them getting bigger. I like that they are more independent (ex.: Mom, I'm hungry. Answer: You know where the kitchen is!) But I also miss them crawling up on my lap and falling asleep. Too bad we can't have it both ways!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bitter sweet, isn't it? I keep trying to embrace the thing my mom always said, "I have thoroughly enjoyed my kids at every age!" There is just something about them being small...and something about wondering if this is your last baby.

    ReplyDelete