Tuesday, October 27, 2020

Christian or Catholic?

 On Sunday (over Zoom) we had a beautiful lesson by Susan Gustafson about the correct name of the Church.  It truly was so beautiful.  While she was teaching, a memory from when I was a young child came to mind.  

I was probably in about 1st or 2nd grade.  A classmate was talking about church and asked me, "Are you a Christian or a Catholic?"  Honestly, I had never heard either of these words before...or at least I didn't think I had.  I said I didn't know, but that I was a Mormon.  I think my friend was unimpressed or even troubled that I wasn't Christian or Catholic (though I think my Catholic friends would be troubled that they were separated out from being Christian!)

I went home and told my parents about it.  I think they were a bit embarrassed that I hadn't known what it meant to be a Christian and explained that a Christian is someone who believes in and follows Christ.  We are Christian, they assured me.

Now I know that some Christians will differentiate members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and say that we aren't Christian, but I think that at least ONE important reason to refer to the Church by its full name is that it helps us to be more fully cognizant of the fact that we are Christian.  And hopefully it makes that more clear to those not of our faith.  


LESSONS LEARNED:  A name is important, including nicknames.  Our names for the church should reflect the fact that we are disciples of Christ.  We are Christian.

No comments:

Post a Comment