Sunday, October 4, 2020

Conference Questions Answered

 Going into conference, I usually have one or two questions that I'm seeking answers to or that I am hoping for greater insight on.  This time I wrote down 9 questions.  A couple of them were interrelated, but still I had a lot of questions and things I felt like I needed guidance on.  I wondered if that would feel distracting or make it harder to hear the answers because my mind and heart were going so many directions.  I prayed that regardless of what happened with my questions, that I would be able to hear what the Lord needed ME to hear.


Well I received answers to 7/9 questions.  There were likely answers to the other two in conference that I missed as I was taking notes and processing what was being said.  Some of the questions had multiple answers.  And I feel uplifted, comforted, and inspired.  I loved every single message.  I loved every single story (and many of them will be showing up here along with what I learned from them!)  And mostly I love knowing that the Lord has individual messages for me.  That He speaks to His prophets and apostles and leaders and shares messages that individuals and the Church need to hear.  That is miraculous to me.


A dear friend posted a list of mantras for General Conference that included things like I don't have to listen to all of Conference. I can remember that prophets and apostles are infallible.  I can sift through the messages to find what is helpful to me.  I was so saddened by this post.  Especially because it is a friend that I love dearly.  And also because others were liking the post and agreeing with it.  I felt compelled to leave a comment telling her how much I loved her and also kindly why I disagreed with her.  I don't think it did any good...but we are SO blessed to have apostles and prophets on the Earth.  I want to treasure and soak up every word they speak.  It is true they are human and have frailties.  But in my mind that makes it even more miraculous that God is able to speak through them to me!   He can use imperfect people, like myself, to share His message with others.  That brings me such great hope.  

I can't possibly sum up all I learned.  I did notice two verses of scripture that were quoted multiple times.

Matthew 5:44 was quoted repeatedly..."But I say unto you, Love your enemiesbless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;"   I suspect this means that some things will get harder. Contention will likely increase.  It will probably feel like we have more enemies.  Going along with that, they talked about the people of Enoch and the people of 4 Nephi in several talks and stressed unity.

D&C 122:7 was also quoted several times..."And if thou shouldst be cast into the pit, or into the hands of murderers, and the sentence of death passed upon thee; if thou be cast into the deep; if the billowing surge conspire against thee; if fierce winds become thine enemy; if the heavens gather blackness, and all the elements combine to hedge up the way; and above all, if the very jaws of hell shall gape open the mouth wide after thee, know thou, my son, that all these things shall give thee experience, and shall be for thy good."  We are experiencing tribulation, and challenges will continue to come.  But we were assured over and over that we are not alone.


There were lots of beautiful messages.  I think Sister Michelle Craig and Sister Sharon Eubank's talks were my favorites.  But I loved Elder Renlund and President Nelson and Elder Holland and really every single talk.  I can't wait to study them and apply them and put them into practice.

And 6 new temples were announced.  Vanuatu, Kiribati, Lindon, Utah, Sao Paolo South, Brazil, Guatemala, and Bolivia.  










LESSONS LEARNED: God hears and answers prayers.

President Nelson is a prophet of God.

God is a God of miracles.

God uses prophets and apostles...and ordinary men and women...to further His work.

Israel means God will prevail.

So important to listen to conference with an open heart and mind.  

God will help us through our trials and challenges.

No comments:

Post a Comment