Saturday, October 24, 2020

Nelson Promises Israel

 In General Conference, President Nelson extended this invitation: "As you study your scriptures during the next six months, I encourage you to make a list of all that the Lord has promised He will do for covenant Israel. I think you will be astounded! Ponder these promises. Talk about them with your family and friends. Then live and watch for these promises to be fulfilled in your own life."

As part of my studies, I am also reading conference talks related to covenants and Israel. Last night I read his talk Covenants (given in 2011) and was so touched by the promises he gave:

*Jesus the Christ would be born through Abraham's lineage.
*Through Israel, all the nations of the earth would be blessed.
*Eternal increase and priesthood.
*Turning away every one of you from his iniquities (maybe that doesn't stand out as a promise at first...but the more I think about it, the more I love that promise...He can help us turn from sin and iniquity and weakness and turn toward Him and repent.)
*We can receive patriarchal blessings which give us a vision for the future and a connection with the past.
*Children of the covenant have the right to receive His doctrine and know the plan of salvation.
*We will be joint heirs to the blessings of an eternal family.
*We can/will know who we are and what God expects of us. (I think this is such a precious blessing...closely tied to the blessings of a patriarchal blessing.)
*The Law will be written in our Hearts.
*He is our God. We are His people.
*The sting of death is soothed.
*Our spiritual stamina will be strengthened.
*We can dwell with God in a neverending state of happiness.
Already President Nelson is correct that I am "astounded" by the promises given and how blessed we are! I have already filled pages with notes about what I'm learning.

Also, listening to a podcast entitled Unshaken, I really love what Jared Halverson said about exclusivity that leads to inclusivity. He has a "chosen people" but the intent is that those who have made covenants don't do so just to earn blessings for themselves but invite others to come unto Christ so that all of God's children can and will be blessed. I'm so grateful for these (and so many other) promises that I'm coming to understand a little better.

No comments:

Post a Comment