Tuesday, October 20, 2020

Saguaro Ranch Christmas

 As a little girl, my paternal grandparents would host a family Christmas party for all of their children and grandchildren.  Typically my uncle Bruce (who lived in Maryland for several years and then in California) and his family wouldn't be there, but my other aunts, uncles and cousins would.  We would meet at Saguaro Ranch Park in Phoenix.  Because it was Phoenix in winter, the weather was absolutely gorgeous.  We would have a big potluck meal with my grandma's potato salad.  Each of the cousins would have drawn a name for another cousin and would exchange gifts.  And then the adults would have a white elephant gift exchange.  And there would be good natured arguing and stealing.  The white elephant gift exchange always seemed like so much fun.  I loved these times with cousins as a young girl.  It was a little less fun when I became a teenager as I had two cousins that were several years older  and then most of my other cousins were at least 5 years younger than me.  There were several years where it didn't feel like I had anyone near my age to associate with.  But overall these were such great days and it was such a fun tradition.  


As an adult, several  of my dad's siblings have grown distant or even stopped speaking to one another.  Most of my cousins have nothing to do with the church.  It makes me sad that there are so many rifts in my family...especially with aunts, uncles and cousins that influenced my life and that I dearly love and loved as a child.  


LESSONS LEARNED:  Traditions are so important and create happy memories.

It takes continual effort, time together and forgiveness to keep family relationships intact.

No comments:

Post a Comment