Sunday, October 25, 2020

God Prevail Review

 I run a group on Facebook called President Nelson Conference Talk Challenge group.  I started it two  years ago when I was reading every conference talk President Nelson had given...and honestly when I started it I just kind of thought it would be a group for that summer and that would be it.  But then I felt prompted to start another related challenge...and a little over two years later, there are 1,518 members of the group.  I get new requests daily.  And while most members don't actively participate, some do.  And there is obviously a desire to follow the teachings of our prophet.  So I knew we needed to act when President Nelson invited us:  "As you study your scriptures during the next six months, I encourage you to make a list of all that the Lord has promised He will do for covenant Israel. I think you will be astounded! Ponder these promises. Talk about them with your family and friends. Then live and watch for these promises to be fulfilled in your own life."


I developed a plan in which on Mondays I post the Come Follow Me readings for that week and people can comment throughout the week about the promises they notice as they are reading.  On Tuesdays, I post a food storage challenge and a quote related to food storage from conference.  On Wednesdays I post some additional scripture readings related to covenants and Israel.  On Fridays, I post a conference talk related to covenants and Israel.  And on Sundays I invite each member to ponder these promises and watch for how they have been fulfilled in their lives that week and then to record it.  So my plan is to do that recording each Sunday.  I'm glad that I waited until now on this Sabbath day because just as I was thinking about what to write, I realized I saw two fulfillments today.

First, in Inklings Institute on Instagram (which has a very similar plan to mine but NOT the exact same...and I'm really trying to do my plan AND theirs!) Emily Freeman talked about the phrase "the god of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob" and what we learn about God from their stories.  We learn that we have a God who keeps His promises from Abraham, a God who provides from Isaac's story and a God that prevails from Jacob's story.  Promises, provides, prevails.

I also love the verses that say that He will be in our midst, that He will go before us and be our rearward.  And I love the promise in 3 Nephi 22:10  "For the mountains shall depart and the hills be removed, but my kindness shall not depart from thee, neither shall the covenant of my peace be removed, saith the Lord that hath mercy on thee."


And these two verses:  3 Nephi 22:

13 And all thy children shall be taught of the Lord; and great shall be the peace of thy children.

14 In righteousness shalt thou be established; thou shalt be far from oppression for thou shalt not fear, and from terror for it shall not come near thee.


So I am sure that there have been other evidences of these things in my life this week.  But here are two from today.


Today I had a busy day with several meetings.  Right after my last meeting our ward executive secretary, Gary, called.  I though maybe he wanted me to meet with our Bishop.  But actually he asked about one of our Young Women, one I have been very worried about.  He had an idea about something that he thought might help her.  And it really might if she is willing to go for it (and that's a big IF.)  Boy do I hope it does help because the things I'm doing aren't working.  But here's what I realize tonight...first, I absolutely think Gary was inspired.  Second, I think that is evidence that the Lord is hearing my fervent prayers (and I'm sure the fervent prayers of many others.)  And finally...and probably most important to me right now, it was a reminder to me that our Heavenly Father is aware of my worries but also that he is mindful of this precious Young Woman who He loves far more than I do.  He reminded me that I'm not alone in caring for this young woman...and that He will continue to work to bless her and help her and reach out to her.  He keeps His promises and He provides for His children.  


The election is coming very soon. And I'm struggling.  I don't feel like there is a decent candidate for president.  My ballot sits on the kitchen table, reminding me daily that I need to vote but also causing me anxiety because I still don't know how to vote.  And Alfredo keeps asking me how I am going to vote and is frustrated that I'm struggling.  He really, really dislikes Trump.  He listens to very liberal Trump haters (who often report things inaccurately and who hate/detest/vilify Trump.)  Now I am not a Trump supporter.  I dislike most of what comes out of his mouth.  But I also think that we should be fair and respectful and I feel like I should have the right to make a decision without feeling pressured.  Also, whenever he comes up the things that are said about him by my family aren't kind. So tonight we were reading 4 Nephi 1 and we talked about the people after Christ's ministry among the Nephites and how they had peace and they had all things in common and there were no -ites and they had the love of God in their hearts.  And there never had been a happier people among the people of Nephi...and likely had only ever been one other people, the people of Enoch, that had been as happy as them.   And then we read the second half of Nephi and watch it all unravel.  It starts slow.  It begins with a few people leaving the church and calling themselves Lamanites.  But soon there are dissensions and contentions. And then we read verse 39..."And they were taught to hate the children of God, even as the Lamanites were taught to hate the children of Nephi from the beginning."  Now I know that this is really talking about the unbelievers hating the believers...but when I read this I teared up and fervently explained to my children that I think it is absolutely okay to talk about the things we disagree with (in politics or other aspects), it is okay to point out the ways in which a leader fails to lead in a manner we see fit.  But I think we can quickly cross a line.  Because even though I do not like many of the things Trump does...and I long for better leadership for our nation...I do not hate the man.  Hatred, anger, contention begin to canker our hearts.  They blind us and harden us and make it difficult if not impossible to feel the Holy Ghost.  And so I don't know if it will make a permanent difference or not...though I hope it will...but we all had a little lesson tonight in remembering that every person we meet is a child of God.  And we should be careful in how we speak about them.  Disagreement is fine.  Differences in views is fine.  Anger, hatred, and contention are not.  I do not want to become like the people of 4 Nephi as Satan "did get hold upon their hearts." (verse 28)  This was a moment when the Lord helped me to make sure that my children were "taught of the Lord."


I have moments of discouragement and sorrow, but being reminded that God promises, provides, and prevails gives me such great peace.  He is mindful of me, of my family, of those I love, and of those I serve.  


LESSONS LEARNED:  God promises (and keeps His promises), He provides, and He prevails!  


I can find and feel peace even in turbulent times.

No comments:

Post a Comment