Sunday, April 6, 2008

General Conference

Wasn't General Conference wonderful?! I loved it. I loved President Monson's talk. I've always thought he was a great storyteller. I loved the talk on prayer and the talks on parenting.

We had stake conference about a month ago. One of the speakers shared a quote from Elder Elder Bateman. It is from General Conference, October 2005. I really loved it. I have studied the scriptures and I have a firm faith in my Savior and in His Atonement. I know that He suffered for my sins. But I had never thought of it in such a personal one-on-one way:


“For many years I thought of the Savior’s experience in the garden and on the cross as places where a large mass of sin was heaped upon Him. Through the words of Alma, Abinadi, Isaiah, and other prophets, however, my view has changed. Instead of an impersonal mass of sin, there was a long line of people, as Jesus felt “our infirmities” (Heb. 4:15), “[bore] our griefs, … carried our sorrows … [and] was bruised for our iniquities” (Isa. 53:4–5).
The Atonement was an intimate, personal experience in which Jesus came to know how to help each of us.
The Pearl of Great Price teaches that Moses was shown all the inhabitants of the earth, which were “numberless as the sand upon the sea shore” (Moses 1:28). If Moses beheld every soul, then it seems reasonable that the Creator of the universe has the power to become intimately acquainted with each of us. He learned about your weaknesses and mine. He experienced your pains and sufferings. He experienced mine. I testify that He knows us. He understands the way in which we deal with temptations. He knows our weaknesses. But more than that, more than just knowing us, He knows how to help us if we come to Him in faith.”


It is amazing to think that the Savior suffered, one by one, for each one of us. Not all at once for everyone, but one by one. And to know that He understands us and can help us through whatever problems and challenges we have. I have always loved the scripture that says that he will succor us, which means literally to run to us. What an amazing blessing to have the Savior and to know of Him!

*******
On a related note, during conference, Ella asked, "Is Jesus going to speak to us?" I explained that Jesus is in heaven with Heavenly Father but that leaders of the church would speak to us and tell us what Jesus wants to know. I love that my girls see Jesus as a real, living person and someone who would speak to them. I am often amazed at their faith and their spirituality.

I'd run upstairs for a second ... I can't remember why, probably to go to the bathroom, and Michelle came running... "Mommy, the new prophet is on. Hurry so we can hear him."

6 comments:

  1. Hi Jenny...I rarely sit down to the computer in the evenings and when I spotted your name on 'nene's blog tonight I remembered telling myself a while back to look at it sometime when I had a minute. It was fun to see the girls. Hope you're feeling well. Michele

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your girls are so sweet!! Max said conference made him want to throw something at the TV!! That being said...if you still want to get together we are in the clear now with the baby girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Michelle. I am doing great. Glad you checked out my blog. How are you and Joe?

    Aly, I would love to get together with your family. The next two weeks are pretty busy but I'll call you in a week or two and set something up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the faith of children. This last week my family was in a very scarey set of circumstances, and Kolbie said the sweetest, simplest prayers that I have ever heard. I wish I could remember to be more like my children. I have learned more from them, than they could ever learn from me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi jill. glad you found my blog. is your family okay? let me know if you need anything.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, Joe & I are fine...still snow & cold up here, 'tho! Take care & tell Michelle & Ella hi from us!

    ReplyDelete