Sunday, April 27, 2008

next year

Well, I finally made a decision regarding next school year. I have been trying to decide whether to work full time or part time next year. I really wanted to work part time but due to several circumstances, we decided that I need to work full time next year. I felt really sad about it for the first few days, but think I've (mostly) come to terms with it now.

There were a few reasons for me to work full time, but I was still trying to figure out a way to make part time work. Then about a week and a half ago, my principal told me that if I go half time I would have to move to first grade and teach in first grade. (There is a great teacher in first grade that needs a job share; she does reading recovery half of the day which is an intensive one-on-one reading intervention). I wouldn't mind working with that teacher, but I would have to work afternoons and I don't want to teach first grade. I've taught third, fifth and sixth (for one year). First grade is not my area of comfort or expertise. Plus, I've worked really hard to get myself organized and established in third grade and starting over in a new grade sounds awful... especially since I'll be out for the first month and a half of the school year on maternity leave. If I worked afternoons, I think I'd spend my whole morning getting kids from place to place (Michelle will be in kindergarten, Ella in preschool...) and getting myself ready for work. It wouldn't be quality time with my kids. Plus, I wanted to work mornings because Michelle's school gets out earlier than mine, so then I could pick her up. Plus, the following year I would need to go back to full time and I would be at the mercy of my (new... we get a new principal next year) principal as to what grade I would teach. So I would probably end up teaching a different grade the following year too. It just sounds like a nightmare. In many ways, teaching third grade all day will be easier than teaching first for half a day. Finally, I love my third grade team. We work so well together. We are a great team and really help each other. I am a better teacher because of them and vice versa. Liz is already leaving, but Brenda and I don't want to be split up. We are good friends and we work really well together. And it shows. Despite some difficult years, we have done well at helping kids succeed academically... our test scores have been good, our reading scores have been good, and we really work as a team.

So the decision is made. I think it will be hard to work full time with a new baby. I was able to go part time after having Michelle and after having Ella. It is going to be a busy year with Michelle starting kindergarten. But we will make it work. I love this baby already, and wish I would be home more with her. But I feel that I'm making the right decision, and as my sister said when I talked to her tonight, the Lord helps you to work things out when you're doing the right things and trying the best you can. I just want to add how grateful I am for Janene. My girls love her and she takes such good care of them. I am grateful that she is willing to watch my baby for me next year. She is the best! We owe her so much. I can't even begin to express how grateful I am to her!! :)

2 comments:

  1. O Jenny! I know what a hard decision this must have been for you! What time is Michelle out of school? I might be able to help some days. Maybe we could work out some kind of car pool? We'll talk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks, shannon. you're awesome. school gets out for michelle at 2:45; i get out at 3:10. we're working on solutions, but my guess is we'll end up having her attend their after school program and I'll pick her up as soon as I can. we'll see. i'll chat with you.

    ReplyDelete