Saturday, April 12, 2008

kindergarten orientation

Yesterday we took Michelle to kindergarten orientation and to register her for kindergarten at Jackson Elementary. Jackson is a school in my district that has a dual immersion Spanish/English program. We were able to meet one of Michelle's teachers, Miss Jennifer. Miss Jennifer will be her teacher half of the day and will teach in English. Her other teacher, Senorita Dahlquist was ill and was not there. Srta. Dahlquist will teach her the other half of the day in Spanish. Half of the students will be native English speakers and half will be native Spanish speakers. I'm both excited and sad to have Michelle starting kindergarten in a few months. It's hard to believe she is about to turn 5! My girls are growing too fast. I feel good about putting Michelle at Jackson for next year. I've heard amazing things about the kindergarten teachers there, especially Miss Jennifer.

Interestingly, Jackson is a uniform school. I taught at Mountain View for six years and Mountain View had a uniform. I loved it. But I'm a little less enthused now that it's my child that will have to wear a uniform. The uniform is navy, khaki and white and she can wear denim jeans or skirts as long as they don't have designs on them. It's not that restrictive and they have "choice day" on Fridays where they can wear other clothes. My main "complaint" is that I've found a bunch of clothes that were deeply discounted and was already mostly done with clothes shopping for the next year for Michelle and Ella. But now I'll have to buy more clothes that fit the uniform policy. Ah well.

3 comments:

  1. I think that uniforms would be awesome (if you hadn't already done your shopping)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought I commented on here yesterday. Maybe it didn't work?? Anyway, I know how you feel about the uniforms! Xaria hates them, being my little fashionista! Anyway, it does make things easier in the morning! We'll chat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's weird because I loved them as a teacher when i was at mountain view for six years. (my current school parkview doesn't have uniforms) i'm less enthused as a parent. not opposed, just less enthused. oh well.

    ReplyDelete