Monday, December 1, 2008

Chores

I've been planning to pose this question for over a week now. We had a discussion about chores during book club and I've been thinking about it since. One person in my book club started reading a book about parenting. It had a list of responsibilities or chores that kids should be able to complete independently at different ages. She thought some of their expectations were pretty high or perhaps unreasonable. For example, one was that a 3 year old should be able to make his/her bed alone and should be able to make a PB&J sandwich alone. I have a 3 year old and she can't/doesn't make her bed and I wouldn't want her to make PB&J by herself... peanut butter and jelly would be everywhere. Plus she can't get the twist tie off the bread by herself. However, we do expect our kids to get dressed, put their dishes in the sink when they are done eating, pick up their toys, brush their hair (with help), put on socks and shoes, and help with other tasks when asked. I feel like these are reasonable expectations. Alfredo sometimes thinks they should be doing more.

So, my question is: what responsibilities or chores do your children have? How old are they and what do they have to do? Or what do you think are reasonable expectations for a 3 year old and a 5 year old?