Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Celebrating What's Right with the World

On Sunday evening I had a meeting at the church for leaders of the youth in our stake. As part of the training, we watched a video put out by National Geographic called "Celebrating What's Right with the World." It was so inspiring! Apparently that is National Geographic's motto. The narrator of the film said that working as a photographer for N.G. he learned "I won't see it until I believe it." In other words if he believed he'd find beautiful landscapes and wonderful people they would be there.

He said, "Vision controls our perception and perception becomes our reality.... When the vision is clear then passion and creativity are there."

There were a million cool things he said. I'm going to share a few of my favorites in as close to his exact words as I can. My thoughts are in parentheses.

Speaking of meeting and photographing people: "I would see the light. Not the light that shines on us but that shines from within us." (Do we stop and see that light in others? in ourselves? do we recognize all the good around us? the media focusses so heavily on the negative that it is easy to forget how much GOOD there is).

"It [what is right in the world] was always there if I was open enough to see it."

"What's here [right in front of me] to celebrate?... By celebrating what's right we find answers to solve what is wrong."

(I often dislike change. It feels scary so these next thoughts resounded in my heart.) "A change curve is a possibility curve. The times of most change always hold the most possibility."

"Don't be the best in the world...but the best for the world."

"The power of vision is extraordinary."

(This video reminded me that despite the poor economy, the crime in the world, the uncertainty, the negativity all around us, there is much to be grateful for. It is a beautiful world we live in and there is so much that is good. We CHOOSE what to pay attention to and what to notice. We can choose to see the bad or the good. It is both there for us. But whatever we believe in, that is what we will see. If we believe it, we will see it. I am going to try to remember to see the good, the uplifting, the inspiring. Like my beautiful children. Like the growth that my students make and NOT some of their low test scores. Like the smiles that greet me each day from children that have come from all over the world to Salt Lake and are in my classroom. Like the fact that I have a roof over my head, sufficient food to eat, clothing to wear. It is enough. It is more than enough. We are so blessed!)

****** This video was far more inspiring than just my few clips can do justice. I was thinking, "I have to buy this video. Unfortunately, they told us that it costs $800. But the good news is that you can see it online. It is about 20 minutes but I hope that won't dissuade you from going to watch it. (I know it probably would me if I hadn't already seen it, but I promise that if you ever need a lift or want to be inspired this will do it!) Anyway, check it out. If you want to. http://www.celebratetraining.com/

3 comments:

  1. What a perfect message!
    I think that mindset is part of what made me want to do my 5 favorites each day. To remind myself that I really do have it good...I may not have a mansion, but I have many many other things, both physically and spiritually.
    Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to watch it... I am quite the pessimist at times! It would do me good... I do have to say, though, that I don't watch the news BECAUSE it is ALL negative! I know it keeps me from knowing exactly what's going on (or the media's perception), but I'm better off this way...

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was wonderful Jenny! I wish our break out session had that video in it. Ours continued in the same mode as the beginning session (which I know is for a reason). Thanks for sharing I can't wait to go and watch it!!

    ReplyDelete