Friday, July 11, 2008

random stuff

I nearly burned my house down today. Well, not really. My friend Carin and I decided to do some freezer meals... each of us are cooking four meals x 4, then we'll trade 1/2 of them. This will give each of us 16 meals (2 each of 8 meals) to freeze and use. So I was working on that this morning. I was boiling chicken (and had been for awhile... I needed a lot of chicken cooked). My kids decided they wanted to play outside and so I went outside for a few minutes to put sunscreen on them. I wasn't outside long, maybe five minutes, but when I came back in, my house was filled with smoke. Not just a little smoke... enough that just running to the kitchen to take the pot off the stove and turn on the fan made me nearly gag and made my eyes water. Fortunately, most of my windows in my house were already open, and I ran back outside and stayed there for another 5 minutes waiting for the smoke to dissipate. The water had boiled out of the pan (I obviously hadn't been watching it very closely even when I was in the house, because I was chopping veggies and stuff) and I think I've destroyed my pan. But the good news is that all but one piece of chicken was salvageable. And my house is still standing. :)

Today Ella told me that I couldn't get on the trampoline. (we were inside the house, so i'm not sure what prompted this remark.) I asked why (not that I would even consider jumping right now). She said, "If you jump, the baby will fall out of you." :) If only delivering a baby were that easy or predictable! :)

But as for delivering the baby, I had a doctor's appointment this week. I'm beginning to dilate (I'm at one) and I'm 50% effaced. I'm 36 weeks along (I"ll try to post a picture tomorrow...I've hated the last couple taken of me and won't post them) and so this baby will come before too much longer. I don't think she'll come early, but probably not too late either.

On Wednesday, we went to the zoo with Shannon, Xaria and Tylan. Tomorrow I hopefully will post a couple of pics of our trip.

3 comments:

  1. Scary coming into your house when it's filled with smoke! Good thing everything was ok.
    If this makes you feel better,at our house we call that a WEEKLY fire alarm check. Yep, at least once a week we set off the fire alarms while cooking. (I think I need to clean my oven-yuck) So, you can imagine the confindence I have, that in the event of an actual fire, we will have working alarms :). What does that way about my cookin'? not much I'm affraid!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG!!! SO SCARY!!!!! I'm glad you went back in when you did!

    Ella CRACKS ME UP! She says the darndest things, doesn't she.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that I'm not the only knuckle-head who's done that! It's scary though--and a good check of the fire alarm too (mine didn't work).

    Now I'm not quite as concerned my cooking won't taste as good as yours. J/K!!!

    ReplyDelete