Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Day two

Today was the second day of school. So far I have 20 students; 10 boys and 10 girls. They seem like pretty good students and they are very nice. There is always a little bit of a honeymoon period at the beginning of the year, but overall, I think this will be a good year. I have some ideas to try to make this year even more fun and exciting than normal...hopefully I can follow through on them.

And in just a couple of weeks, Michelle begins first grade. It is so hard to believe that she is 6, she is beginning to read, she is writing like crazy and learning so many other things, including Spanish.

I have to say that back to school time is one of both excitement and a little sadness... it is always exciting to start a new year, to get a new class of students, to try some new things, and to see my own kids begin a new year of school, preschool and life. As a child, I loved school so much that September was always one of my favorite times of year. But it is also a little sad...to be going back to work after time off, to see my kids getting a little bigger, to know how busy I will be for the next nine months.

5 comments:

  1. you have a WAY better attitude than I do about going back to work.. mostly it just pisses me off (sorry... but, it's how I feel)! :) And then... I get over it... what else am I gonna do when my kids are in school? Sit here in front of the computer? I DON'T THINK SO!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You don't have to apologize to me! And really, most of the time, I really like most parts of my job. I love getting to know the kids and watching them learn and develop. It's amazing. I hate the grading of papers and doing report cards and the pressure of the standardized tests. But if I have to work, I'm glad I have a job that I mostly enjoy. Besides, I LOVE the people I work with. My principal is great and the teachers at my school are AMAZING! They are so dedicated and we get along so well and respect each other so much. It's not like that at all schools, so I feel lucky to be at Parkview.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! school has started already. Summers go by to fast.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! 20 students!! That rocks!! That seems like a very managable size. Hope things continue to go well for you. The first day is the absolute most frightening thing for me!! I start having trouble sleeping a few days before school starts! The first 3 years I taught, I had terrible first days! Last year was good though. I'm crossing my fingers for this year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, it won't stay 20...I'm up to 22 already. But it shouldn't get too much bigger than that. Which will be nice. I'm always nervous before the first day also. I tossed and turned all night on Sunday. But I think it will be a good year.

    ReplyDelete