Monday, August 31, 2009

Proud Mommy Monday: Service

I love these Proud Mommy Moments every Monday, but sometimes I'm a little nervous about them. On the one hand, it has been so good for me to focus on what I am doing right. On the other hand, most of the women I know are incredible moms and I don't want to sound like I think I'm better than any of them. But because it has helped me stay more positive about myself, I will continue to participate as often as I can. It's been good for me. If you'd like to participate, head over to
Shannon's blog and check it out.

So my thought for today is that I have tried to include my children as I do service. I just heard recently (and I have no idea where I heard/read it, sorry) that service shouldn't be something we do because we're told to, it should be part of who we are... Our Savior spent his life in service to others and we are to become like him. Anyway, I have a long way to go, but I do try to serve and volunteer and I try to include my children when it is appropriate.

A few quick examples: When I've taken meals to neighbors that are sick, I've let them help prepare (if this can be done safely) or deliver the food. When I was working with the young women at church, I often brought my kids along. They could see what I was doing to serve, and they became close to these amazing youth that I hope they will emulate. Last Christmas, we did a special project that my kids still talk about regularly. I am sure that there is more that I can do to help them recognize the importance of service, and I hope that as they get older, I will be able to have them participate even more. But I want them to know that helping others is an important part of life.

My grandma was my babysitter as a little girl while my mom worked. I can remember so many times that my grandma gave a disabled friend rides or took her to the doctor. I can remember her taking meals to people, listening to them as they talked, watching other people's children, taking her own grown children in when they needed a place to live for awhile. So many people's lives have been blessed by my grandma. I can remember her saying that she tried to pray each day that she would have a chance to help someone...and she did nearly every day. She was such a tremendous example to me as a child (and so was my mom!!!!) and I would like to be that kind of example to my children.

2 comments:

  1. I so have felt that way about this proud mommy thing... BUT, I really want it to be a learning experience for moms... I have learned so much from you and others who have participated... so please don't feel like that. I just think it's funny how we can brag on our kids all day long, but have a hard time patting ourselves on the back every now and again...
    You learned something GREAT from your grandma's example! I have a lot to learn in that area - for SURE! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome! Thanks so much for sharing that!
    I believe that everyone (and I mean EVERYONE) needs to step it up a notch! I think we can all find places to serve..even it it's in extremely small ways like a friendly smile at the checkout clerk, or holding the door open for someone. It's my greatest hope for the future that my children will grow up to be useful members of society.
    Thanks for your thoughts. Your grandma sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete