Sunday, May 18, 2008

28 weeks

This past week I hit the 28 week mark. It seems like this pregnancy is going pretty fast. I'm feeling good. I did my glucose (gestational diabetes) test this past week. The nurse called on Friday. I am anemic and my glucose test came back really high. So as of yesterday I'm taking iron. And this week I go in for the 3 hour glucose test. With Ella, I had to take the 3 hour test and I came in just on the border, just barely lower than being diagnosed with gestational diabetes. And I have a family history of diabetes. I am not diabetic (I've been tested), but I think there is a strong likelihood that I'll be diagnosed with gestational diabetes. I'm not thrilled about that (I must admit I have a strong sweet tooth), but I'm sure I'll be okay. I'm really not worried too much about having a large baby. My girls were 7lb15oz and 7lb11oz. And I've only gained about 10-12 pounds this far. The main thing is that this week is really crazy for me and taking an entire morning to go sit in the doctor's office and take the test is going to be beyond inconvenient. Oh well. Hopefully I can go on Friday; I am off this Friday and all of the craziness of the week is over by then.

Note: I'd originally typed that I was at 32 weeks. Janene asked if that was right, and of course it wasn't. That's what happens when a. your kids are talking to you as you type, b. you have pregnancy brain, and c. you are anemic. I talked to my nurse today and she said I was very anemic. She asked if I'd been feeling tired. I said yes, but just figured it was due to working full time, having two kids and being pregnant. She laughed and said that taking iron should help me feel a little more energetic. I sure hope so.

I'm glad to know that memory lapses are an actual medical event during pregnancy, because I sure seem to be having a lot of them. Minutes before I typed this blog, I was thinking that to keep up with my rate of posting a picture every 4 weeks, I'll need to do one at 32 weeks, 36 weeks and 40 weeks. I knew I was 28 weeks along. Last week for Michelle's celebration of her birthday at preschool, I bought a box of 10 cookies and there are 11 kids in her class. So Michelle graciously gave up her birthday cookie and then Bryce was sweet enough to share his with Michelle, Ella and Sylas. (I really thought the box had 12, but apparently my brain isn't functioning... or else I can't count.) Several times I've been telling a story and a person's name will completely leave my head... people I know well! I don't remember being quite this forgetful or scatterbrained the first two times. Oh well. I'll (hopefully) return to my normal brain function in a couple of months. Thanks for pointing out my error, Janene!! (I'm sure I wouldn't have noticed on my own.)

3 comments:

  1. I didn't know you were fighting the diabetes thing. Yigh. I guess it's a really good thing Alfredo doesn't enjoy sweets--there won't be tons in the house during this time that you can't enjoy them. Once the baby's born it's time to INDULGE! (good. Now I know what you need!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had gestational diabetes with Xaria. It turned out to be an okay thing. I was put on a very strict diet. I was pretty healthy most of my pregnancy (until the toxemia, of course)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just saw your little update. Yes we turn in to brainless goofballs the further along we get! My worst was when I was driving to work, saw a light turn red and thought, 'hmm, I should probably stop' as I got right up on the line. I had to screach to a halt & stopped mid-intersection. Wow. If that isn't brainless I don't know what is!

    ReplyDelete