Friday, May 9, 2008

bike rider

yesterday after work, Michelle said she wanted to show me something. Ella got a bike for Christmas. Santa Claus (me) didn't do a very good job assembling the bike and one of the training wheels came off a week or two ago. I haven't gotten around to putting it back on, but Michelle is pretty good at riding it with one training wheel. Well, yesterday Michelle twisted the remaining training wheel up so it no longer touched the ground at all, hopped on the bike, steadied herself for a second and then began zooming up and down the street. Never once did Alfredo or I hold the back of her bike to give her practice getting her balance. Guess she doesn't need training wheels anymore!
She rode in a long dress no less. I can remember learning to ride a bike. I think I was six or so when the training wheels came off, and it seemed like it was hard for me to keep my balance for days or weeks after that. But Michelle definitely has better coordination than me. She is also pretty fearless. She is an eager learner and will probably be much more athletic than I am (not that this is saying much... I am NOT an athlete.)

She had the hugest grin on her face in this photo. She is proud of herself. I was proud of her too. When I told Alfredo, he said she'd been riding like that for at least a week. He didn't seem to think it was that surprising or that big of a deal. I, however, was very impressed.

4 comments:

  1. I am very impressed!!
    It was only last fall that Annie finally figured it out!!
    I thought it was funny, because she'd been doing back flips in tumbling class for two years but couldn't ride a bike without training wheels :) That is awesome for Michelle!! Too cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am SUPER impressed! She is so coordinated! Xaria is NOT. She is barely showing an interest in riding her bike WITH training wheels and I think that is because Tylan is doing it! GOOOOOO MICHELLE!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michelle has always loved outdoor toys (bikes, trikes, scooters, etc). She would spend all day outside if I let her. For a family with only 2 kids (soon to be 3, of course), we have an abundance of cars, bikes, trikes and scooters which as you've all noticed mostly stay in our front yard/sidewalk. (I sometimes put them away, but it seems that within 10 minutes after putting them all away, they are all back out again. So mostly I just let them remain scattered around the front yard. Somehow it, surprisingly, doesn't seem to bother Alfredo.) So she gets plenty of practice. but I"m still impressed with her agility and balance. I know you call Tylan your little monkey, Shannon, but Michelle is mine. :)

    ReplyDelete