Sunday, September 13, 2020

Brad Framed Cover

 I loved this story that Randal Wright shared about Brad Wilcox on Facebook:

The first time I spoke at Education Week at BYU I gave ten 55 minute presentations. Eight were for adults and two were for the youth. I’ll never forget how nervous I was walking up to the building where I was to speak to over 500 teenagers. I realized then I was a country hick from Southeast Texas who had no business speaking at that event. Just before I reached the door a young friendly guy with a huge smile came out carrying a large “boom box.” As I was about to walk past him to go into the lion’s den he stopped and asked my name and if I was the next speaker. He then introduced himself and shocked me by giving me a big hug and assured me I would do fine. I didn’t do very well but I did appreciate a 27-year-old elementary school teacher named Brad Wilcox for being so friendly and considerate to me.
The following year our paths crossed again when he spoke at an Especially for Youth held at Texas A&M University and I served as the session director. I watched his kindness to everyone he came in contact with. The youth who attended that session loved him and flocked to the classes he taught. Seeing him interact with others reminded me that I had a very long way to go in the kindness area.
The next year Deseret Book published my first book and shortly after it was published I got a package from Brad. I had no idea what it was. I was shocked and got emotional when I opened the package and saw what it was. He had bought a copy of my book, took the cover off and had it professionally matted and framed. I could hardly believe that an elementary school teacher in a low paying school district in Utah had been so kind, thoughtful and generous with what he had.
Since that time Brad and I have crossed paths many times. We have spoken together for Cruise Lady, at youth conferences, Especially for Youth, and for years at the same events like Education Week. In every encounter, he has shown kindness to me and to everyone around him. If I wrote a chapter in a book I could expect a letter in the mail telling me that he enjoyed it along with a reference to a specific experience or point indicating he really had read it. He has sent many thank you notes and notes of encouragement over the years. I’m sure hundreds and hundreds of other people he has crossed paths with him would say the same. Kindness is defined as the quality of being friendly, generous, and considerate. That being the case Brad is a dictionary definition of the word.
On one occasion Brad and I both spoke at the Education Week held in Hawaii. Both of us brought our families. While there Brad briefly met all five of my children at the motel pool where we were all staying. A year later our daughter Naomi was in a supermarket in Provo, Utah. All of a sudden she hears someone loudly call her by name and come up and give her a hug. Naomi is still in awe that Brad not only recognized her after only having one encounter with her but even more impressed that he remembered her name.
When our daughter Natalie served her mission she was assigned to the Winter Quarters Visitors Center. The missionaries were very busy during the summer of 2002 because of those traveling to and from the Nauvoo Temple open house and dedication. Brad was one of the visitors that stopped in. Natalie was 15 when she met Brad but he saw her name tag and said she looked like her mother so he gave her a big hug. I’m attaching a letter he wrote afterward because I think it shows the kindness I have witnessed over the years. Brad obviously subscribes to a statement made by Ralph Waldo Emerson: “You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.” Thinking about Brad tonight helps me realize that I need to work on being more friendly, generous and considerate.
Lesson Learned: Those who are kind to others may never know the lives they have influenced for good.

***
And then several others shared experiences with Brad Wilcox and how kind and generous he has been with them.  The combination of hearing about President Monson and Brad Wilcox has made me really be reflective on how I can show greater love and interest and kindness to others around me.

No comments:

Post a Comment