Friday, September 18, 2020

Hard Week Rewarded

 I finished my first week of teaching a new class remotely.  It was a challenging week.  Truly a very challenging week. There were a few tech issues on my part (being kicked out of zoom meetings, having internet issues, not having my microphone work) and plenty of tech issues for the students.  There were lots of things that were frustrating.  Yesterday, I shed a few tears because Wednesday and Thursday were so hard and I was so tired and discouraged.


This morning I had internet issues and 7 minutes before school started I still couldn't get my laptop to connect with Wifi.  I called Sara in a panic and asked if I could come teach from her house.  She said of course and she and Chris got me a table, Sara grabbed a bunch of snacks and some water for me, I plugged things in and logged on to start the day at the exact same time as my students did.  It could have been a disaster.  But Sara's snacks (along with a note that said I love you.  Have a good day.)  helped calm my nerves.  And we got started.  There were a couple of minor bumps in the road, but pretty quickly everything started working and it was our smoothest day so far.  Students went to our counselor's lesson and library and didn't have trouble getting in so I had an hour break (at which point my kids had the internet working so I went home)...and this afternoon they all successfully got into Lexia (an online reading app) except one student.  I had her do a math app called ST Math instead.  They listened and followed directions and completed an assignment on Canvas.  It wasn't perfect but it was our best day so far.

I am SO grateful for Sara who was a lifesaver!  And my girls for figuring out the Wifi and getting themselves to and from piano.  And my girls did their own remote learning without any reminders or assistance.

And then I got a couple of really thoughtful and beautiful emails this week:

Subject line:  You killed it!
Hi Jennifer -

Thank you for the commitment and patience and agility you showed this week as you fought through the challenges of a new learning model without missing a beat on your lessons. We are amazed that you were able to balance teaching your students with resolution of your own technical challenges, the students' technical and navigation challenges, and all the behavioral issues of eager 8-year-olds returning to learning after history's longest summer.

We have a distinct memory of a moment of peace around midday Wednesday. The class was quiet, Alice was doing an exercise on paper, and it was clear this online model will be successful. We realize a lot of people at the school district worked to make this week possible, but when Monday arrived and the success or failure was in your hands, we were pleased to have you as Alice's teacher. And we have never heard the words "ok go on mute" said so sweetly and so patiently so many times.

Have a good weekend. We will see you online on Monday. Alice is looking forward to it, and that's all that really matters to us.

Parents of Alice
****
Just wanted to say thank you for a great week. I know this has been difficult on everyone but Graham has really enjoyed it.  --Graham's Mom
****

I was blown away by how awesome your class was today. They gave good feedback, asked awesome questions, and knew exactly what they were supposed to do. I know a big part of that is their positive attitudes and resilience, but I’m sure you have given them some awesome modeling and support to get them there.

 

Korey  (our school counselor)


****


I do not know how you handle this online class.  I do not know that I could have your patience, lol.

Let us know if there is anything we can do to help.

Warm regards,
Chrystal
***
Also, while I really, really would prefer to be teaching in person...there are a couple of bonuses.  No commute.  I'm able to go walking 3 times a week with Sara, instead of 2, and 45 minutes later than we typically do during the school year because I don't have a commute.

I can drink hot chocolate every morning and wear fuzzy slippers (and shorts and jeans if I want to).
I can make it more quickly and easily to my girls' tennis matches.
I still think there are more drawbacks to teaching online than blessings...but I am trying hard to see the positive.

LESSONS LEARNED:  Thank people, especially if they made a difficult situation better.  You may have no idea how far a simple thank you might go.

Even when things are HARD, they are bound to improve and there are likely good things happening as well.

Be the type of friend that people can call 5 minutes before a meeting/school starts or when you are having an emergency and know that you'll welcome them into your home and make their day a little better.

This year is tough on teachers (and parents and students). Give grace. Notice the good. Be extra patient. I'm going to send a treat or a note to each of my children's teachers this next week--they deserve it!

No comments:

Post a Comment