Saturday, September 5, 2020

Hope 2020 Needed

 As 2020 approached, I pondered what word I might choose as my focus for the year.  It seemed strange but I felt led to choose hope.  It seemed strange because I felt filled with hope and excitement.  2020 was going to be our year!  We had two big trips planned...one to China in February and one to El Salvador in June.  In addition, Gabby and I would take her 12th birthday trip.  And Michelle, Ella and I would go on trek.  And Michelle, Ella, Gabby and I would all go to girls camp together.  It was guaranteed to be a really, special, memorable and happy year.  We'd had some challenges in the past couple of years but I just knew this year was going to be our best year yet.  So I wasn't sure why hope would be the word for the year.


And then we began hearing about the corona virus in China in January.  And soon, it was clear that our trip to China would not be happening.  But it was okay!  The tour company allowed us to postpone for spring of 2021 over spring break and in several ways that was going to be even better.  I just felt so blessed.


But then March 2020 came and the corona virus was spreading worldwide.  Cases were being reported in the US.  Fear was growing along with uncertainty.  And then things shut down.  And there was an earthquake.  But even then while I hated being in actual quarantine for a couple of weeks, I reasoned that things would improve quickly.  I would never have expected that nearly 6 months later, many things would still be so different.  Temples were closed completely for a couple of months and have slowly opened for living ordinances...which means it has been about 6 months since I attended the temple.  Church was closed for about 3 months and then we were able to return every other week in small groups.  There are ward members I haven't seen in months.  There are a couple of YW I haven't seen or have only seen a couple of times in 6 months.  When schools closed, I struggled to teach online and help my own children with their schooling.  It was overwhelming and exhausting and hard...and now school begins again for me on Tuesday and I am still teaching online.  My children are in school in person, 4 days per week...wearing masks.  And we are so grateful for that. 

Not to mention there has been civil unrest and racial tension and so much heartache.

There have been so many uncertainties and challenges and worries and fears and doubts.  Did the Lord know what He was doing when he inspired me to choose the word HOPE for 2020?  Absolutely!  I've clung to that word and to the source of my hope...the Savior.  Some days that's what has literally kept me going and kept me from falling completely apart.  We've adjusted and I don't feel the desperation that I felt in April and May.  But I still cling to my hope.


I love these words from Elder Holland in April 2020 conference:

"Indeed, if we finally lose hope, we lose our last sustaining possession. It was over the very gate of hell that Dante wrote a warning to all those traveling through his Divina Commedia: “Abandon all hope,” he said, “ye who enter here.”16 Truly when hope is gone, what we have left is the flame of the inferno raging on every side."

And "I testify that the future is going to be as miracle-filled and bountifully blessed as the past has been. We have every reason to hope for blessings even greater than those we have already received because this is the work of Almighty God, this is the Church of continuing revelation, this is the gospel of Christ’s unlimited grace and benevolence."


We have every reason to hope!  Every reason!


President Nelson said, "Our Savior and Redeemer, Jesus Christ, will perform some of His mightiest works between now and when He comes again. We will see miraculous indications that God the Father and His Son, Jesus Christ, preside over this Church in majesty and glory."


That gives me great reason to hope!


LESSONS LEARNED:  There is hope smiling brightly before us.  We have every reason to hope.


The Lord knows what we need, even before we do.

No comments:

Post a Comment