Sunday, September 27, 2020

Sabbath Church Why

 This weekend, I keep seeing posts about why people go to church. Many of us have worshipped from home for 6 months now...why do we need to return? (Please know at the outset that this is not meant to make anyone feel pressured to go back to church right now if you feel it is unsafe. I absolutely respect your choice to worship safely at home. It is absolutely just that a million thoughts are racing through my head and I know I will sleep better tonight if I get them out of my head. It is more about the reasons why I choose to go...now and in the future...and NOT about the timing for when you decide it is safe to attend. Though in my ward I feel VERY comfortable and safe attending.)


First and foremost is to partake of the sacrament (which I realize can at times be performed in our homes when authorized...). I go because it allows me to receive necessary ordinances and make and renew covenants with my Savior. I go to church because I LOVE to learn. I gain insights into the gospel when I am there that I miss in my own studies. I learn from others. As I hear of the ways that the Savior enters into other people's lives and lifts and strengthens and heals and blesses them, it helps me to see more clearly the ways that He does the same for me. I go because I want to be obedient and because I want to qualify for the gift of the Holy Ghost. I go because I genuinely love the members of my ward family. They feel like family to me and I LONG to see them! I go because I have responsibilities to serve. I go because I have responsibilities to serve. I go because I receive far more than I give (though I try to serve faithfully and diligently.) I go because I am the person I am today due to the opportunities I have had to speak, teach, serve, learn, grow, forgive, love, and practice what I believe. I go because I show by my choices how I want my children to live. They may or may not decide to follow my example when they are grown, but I want them to know what is important to me and that I cherish my church attendance. I go because I recognize that the main purpose of this life is to build and strengthen relationships...with God and with others...and church helps me to do that. I go because I LOVE the temple more than any other place on Earth and I want to always live so that I am worthy to enter there. I go because it is a sacred and holy place and I want to "stand in holy places." I go because despite our efforts to faithfully worship in our home, I cannot replicate in my home all that church offers us... we ALL benefit from hearing other people's testimonies and experiences and knowledge...though we have tried to be very diligent in keeping the Sabbath day holy. I go because I am often guided by the spirit there to know who to serve or how to serve in ways that I sometimes find harder to experience or recognize when I am in my own home separated from others. I go because I draw strength from gathering with others. I go because I know that the leaders, speakers, teachers, etc. have put in a lot of time and effort and sacrifice in MY behalf so that I can draw closer to the Savior and I sustain them. I go because it brings me JOY.

No comments:

Post a Comment