Friday, September 4, 2020

Mom Letter OK

My parents divorced when I was in 8th grade.  This was a very difficult time for me for many reasons.  A few months after my parents' divorce, I went to youth conference.  As part of youth conference, leaders asked each parent to write a letter to their child.  (We have parents write a letter to their daughters every year for camp but when I was a teen this was not a common practice in my area.  As far as I can remember this was the only letter my mom wrote to me during my teenage years.)  We were given our letters and allowed to spread out, find a quiet spot, read our letters and write in our journals.  My mom wrote about how difficult things had been recently.  She said that one day as she was thinking and praying about things, she felt Heavenly Father comfort her and tell her it was all going to be okay.  She said she didn't know exactly what that meant for our family but she knew it was true.  That letter brought me such comfort.  It didn't make everything easy...and in some ways things felt like they got harder for awhile.  But looking back now, I can see the fulfillment of these promises.  Things are okay.  There have been and still are challenges, but my mom is happily remarried/sealed to my wonderful stepfather, my dad has made many changes and is active in the church and our family is strong and we are more than okay.  I'm so grateful for this assurance from my mom and from my Heavenly Father.  And I'm grateful to see that promise fulfilled.


LESSONS LEARNED:  Even in the midst of hard times, we can trust that ultimately things will be okay if we trust in the Lord.


It may take time to see promises fulfilled, but we can remember "I, the Lord, am bound when ye do what I say." (D&C 82:10). 

No comments:

Post a Comment